It's officially that time of year again: out with the old and in with the new. As warmer temperatures approach, many of us may plan on a closet clean-out, including our designer bag collections.
A little spring cleaning goes a long way toward eliminating clutter. It can also earn you cash, as in the case of consignment. But many consignment stores, especially luxury resellers, are very selective and strategic in selecting the designer bags they bring into their inventories. That is why prepping your items before consigning is essential.
Keep reading for four must-know tips before consigning – take it from the consignment experts themselves *wink wink*.
Go through your closet to determine what should go. It may be hard to let go of certain pieces due to their sentimentality value, but a good rule of thumb is to remember that you should get rid of the bag if you haven't carried it during the past year. As long as it no longer resonates with you or your current style and tastes, it may be better off with someone else. As we like to say, turn your closet clutter into someone else's treasure!
2. Pay attention to the condition of your item.
- Gently wipe the bag with a soft cloth to remove dirt and imprints. Be careful not to use a stain remover, water, or cleaning products as you could damage the material
- Does the bag have signs of heavy wear such as rips in stitching, discolouration, scratches on the hardware or prominent wrinkles on the leather? If so, the odds are that the reseller may not accept your item. Consult with your the boutique your bag is from – most designer brands like Chanel and Louis Vuitton offer a repair service, some for a fee, and some for free (warranty dependant). It is highly recommended to bring your bag to the designer boutique to have it fixed as it will be in the hands of an expert. After repairing your bag, you could also fetch a higher resale price. So consider it an investment well made.
3. Stay attuned to bags that are trending.
Top brands such as Hermes and Chanel regularly fetch high prices in the resale market. Trendy items that many shoppers may be looking for are also excellent to consign, as they are most likely to sell fast. If the bag is still sold in stores at full price, that's even better. Currently, bags that are hot and trending among customers include:
- Chanel Classic Flaps
- Chanel Boy Bags
- Chanel 19
- Hermes Birkin
- Hermes Kelly
- Saint Laurent Lou Lou
- Saint Laurent Sunset
- Gucci Marmont
- Louis Vuitton Palm Springs Backpack
- Louis Vuitton Multi Pochette
- Fendi Baguette
4. Keep in mind the selling season
Most consignment stores buy items ahead of the current season. For example, we would start buying for the spring and summer seasons if it is currently spring.
Pay attention to the colours of the bags you desire to consign. Brighter colours such as pink, yellow, orange, blue, and neons or pastels fare better for summer. Whereas darker colours and more subdued such as deep red, purple, and brown, are much more sought after during the fall/winter season.
Consigning is very simple because it is easy to turn items you no longer want into cash. So, now that you know thmost essential tips, what designer bag(s) are you planning to consign?
ALSO READ: DECLUTTERING LUXURY HANDBAGS: 3 EASY STEPS